Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Creating, Saving, and Sharing Flashcards Using gFlash


(Updated 9/6/12) Not sure of which approach to use for your next set of gFlash flashcards?  Here's a quick overview of the most common options and the advantages and disadvantages for each:


ApproachAdvantagesDisadvantages
Use Google Spreadsheets
  • Use any web browser to enter and edit flashcards
  • Share flashcards with your study group or the gWhiz Catalog content library
  • Data is backed up on extraordinarily reliable servers (docs.google.com)
  • Data is easily exportable to other programs
  • Downloaded data can be used offline
  • Supports multi-sided and user-defined multiple choice flashcards
  • Requires Google Account
  • Requires internet access to create, edit or download
  • Generally works best from a Mac or PC
Use the gFlash Editor
  • Can create and edit cards directly on the mobile device - no download necessary
  • Flashcards can be created and edited without network access
  • Include images from the photo library or from the camera
  • Record audio directly from the device
  • Can share via email or iTunes file sharing.

  • Only available on iOS
Use third party flashcard sites like StudyStack.com and Quizlet.com
  • Sophisticated flashcard creation, editing, and on-line study tools
  • Data is easily exportable to other programs
  • Study games and other features
  • Large library of content
  • Requires internet access to create, edit or download
  • Only available on iOS
  • Additional charge to use on gFlash+


1 comment:

  1. Hi, I'm having a problem exporting the database from my iPad to my iPhone. The specific problem is with regards to Images. I took the following steps:
    1) selected Export Database on iPad (this got stored in the export folder of iTunes filesharing with .sqlite file extension )

    2) selected SAVE TO from iTunes file sharing (saved it to local directory on my mac)
    3) selected my iPhone as the device in iTunes
    4) Went to Apps | Filesharing | gFlash+ and clicked on the Add button to import the .sqlite file stored on my local directory.
    5) Clicked on the Sync button to sync file with my iPhone
    6) Pulled up gFlash+ on my iPhone in anticipation of viewing my personally created flash card sets
    The Problem Encountered: all of my content is there as expected (nice!!) The only problem is that the images did not appear to get exported with the database so I only have little empty boxes where my images should be.

    Is this a known issue? Did I do something wrong? Thanks for any help!

    ReplyDelete